Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Hemenway

"You're Moms home!" Dad said as he opened the back door. I was sitting on the couch in the living room as Kaya ran to see who it was and I became anxious hoping she would remember who mom was. I heard her tail wagging and as i walked around the corner i saw Kaya wiggling with excitement as mom bent down to pet her. I walked up and threw my arms around mom, sobbing into her shoulder. She held me tight. "Where have you been?" I asked her. Very calmly she replied "At Hemenway, writing a nature book." I immediately thought "oh, that must be why she's been gone so long, it can take a long time to write a book."
We looked at each other and I cried some more. Then I woke up. It was that same dream again, my heart was heavy, eyes filled with tears, longing.
I knew today I would be visiting Hemenway landing in Eastham. It's a special little spot right off the highway down a road leading to a small parking lot on the waters edge of Nauset Marsh. Many boats and kayaks go out from there as it a beautiful scenic tour through the marsh ways leading to the open waters of the Atlantic. The tide was way out today, cloudy and not a soul in sight. I stepped out of the car and the skies opened up to a great beam of sunlight on my face. It warmed my whole body and felt like the same warmth from moms hug in my dream last night. I thanked her for being with me and guiding me there. I miss her more as each day passes but am so thankful for the strong connection we have through nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment